"L’expropriation indirecte dans les conflits entre contractants extractifs" in Le contentieux extractif, Chambre de Commerce Internationale 2015
|LANGUAGES:||French and English|
Marie-Laure Bizeau is a partner at Derains & Gharavi and has over 13 years’ experience in international arbitration. She has acted as counsel or arbitrator in numerous proceedings, including ad hoc and institutional commercial arbitrations under all major sets of rules (ICC, LCIA, DIAC, CRCICA, and UNCITRAL) as well as investment arbitrations (including under ICSID Rules). Her experience extends to proceedings governed by civil law, common law, investment treaties and general public international law.
Marie-Laure’s practice covers a broad spectrum of industries. She has handled arbitrations related to engineering and construction contracts, international sales/services agreements, distribution and license agreements, joint-ventures and shareholder relationships. She has been particularly active in the sectors of energy (oil and gas), infrastructure, telecommunications, hospitality, pharmaceuticals and investments in general.
She also regularly represents clients in annulment and enforcement proceedings before French state courts.
Marie-Laure is a visiting lecturer in international arbitration at the University of Montpellier.
EXPERIENCE AS COUNSEL
- Counsel to a Middle-East State in an ICC arbitration against an Asian company relating to the construction and operation of a waste recycling plant contract
- Counsel to a European bank in an ICC arbitration against another European bank relating to a share transfer contract;
- Counsel to an Indian company in an ICC arbitration against a European company relating to the production and delivery of materials as part of a plant construction;
- Counsel to a Middle East citizen in an ICC arbitration relating to a debt collection and the implementation of a demand guarantee;
- Counsel to a French company in an ICC arbitration relating to a services contract;
- Counsel to a French company in a domestic commercial arbitration relating to hotel management contracts;
- Counsel to an Iranian construction company in an ICC arbitration against an Italian company relating to the breach of a construction contract;
- Counsel to a French company in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Guinea relating to the contraction of a large building complex in Conakry;
- Counsel to Lebanese investors in an ICSID arbitration against the Democratic Republic of Congo relating to the expropriation of an investment in the construction and wood industries and in the annulment proceedings initiated by the Democratic Republic of Congo against the award (Antoine Abou Lahoud and Leila Bounafeh-Abou Lahoud v. Democratic Republic of the Congo, ICSID Case No. ARB/10/4);
- Counsel to a Tunisian company in an arbitration against the Republic of Gabon initiated under the Investment Agreement of the Organization of the Islamic Conference in relation to the construction of social housing buildings in the Republic of Gabon;
- Counsel to the Republic of Togo in ICSID annulment proceedings initiated against Togo Elecritcité and GDF Suez and relating to a dispute concerning a concession in the electricity industry;
- Counsel to an Iraqi company against a French company in annulment proceedings initiated against an ICC award;
- Counsel to an Iranian company against an Italian company in annulment proceedings initiated against an ICC award;
- Counsel to a French company against a Tunisian company in annulment proceedings initiated against an ICC award;
- Counsel to a Dutch company against a Germany company in annulment proceedings initiated against an ad hoc arbitration award;
- Counsel to a Qatari company against an UAE company in annulment proceedings initiated against an ICC award.
EXPERIENCE AS ARBITRATOR
- Chairman of the Arbitral Tribunal in an ICC arbitration between two North African companies relating to a services contract;
- Chairman of the Arbitral Tribunal in an ICC arbitration between a Middle East company and a European company relating to an industrial equipment purchase contract;
- Sole arbitrator in an ad hoc arbitration between European companies relating to a cooperation agreement for the management of an oil licence;
- Sole Arbitrator in an ICC arbitration between European companies relating to the sale of wind turbines;
- Sole Arbitrator in an ICC arbitration between French companies relating to the management of a nuclear power plant;
- Sole Arbitrator in an ICC arbitration between French companies relating to a purchase contract.
|Since 2018||Partner, Derains & Gharavi (Paris)|
|2016 – 2017||Counsel, Derains & Gharavi (Paris)|
|2009 – 2015||Associate, Derains & Gharavi (Paris)|
|2003 – 2008||Associate, Lazareff Law Firm (Paris)|
|Since 2014||Visiting lecturer in international and internal arbitration at the University of Montpellier|
|2002||Bar School (Paris)
Thesis: “French Courts international jurisdiction regarding provisional and conservatory measures”
|2001||Postgraduate Degree (DESS) in Litigation, Arbitration and ADR – University of Paris II–Assas
Memorandum: “Article 6.1 of the European Convention on Human Rights and International Arbitration”
|1999||Postgraduate Degree (DESS) in International Business Law – University of Paris I, Sorbonne|
|1998||Master of Business and Commercial Law – University Paris XI, Jean Monnet (Paris)|
- Member of the Commission on International Arbitration of ICC France
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators of ICC France
- Member of the French Arbitration Association (AFA)
L'Article 10 du nouveau Règlement d'arbitrage de la CCI: Percées et formalisation de la pratique de la Cour sur la "Jonction d'arbitrages" (Hamid Gharavi & Marie-Laure Bizeau), in Les Cahiers de l'Arbitrage / The Paris Journal of International Arbitration, 2012 n°1, p. 51